A lot has been written about the mis-match between the 1" horns and the later 902/908 drivers with the 7/8" throat. Why Altec matched up these combinations will always remain a mystery lost in time and space.
As many of you know, I have a set of HeathKit AS101's and they come stock with the 906 drivers. I had picked up a set of 908 drivers, changed out the diaphragms to aluminum to turn them into 902's.
So what to do about the big mis-match? I was hesitant to remove the bug screens so I had no idea what the internal taper was in the driver. Ideally any adapter should carry on the exact same taper. Thought about it for awhile and decided I would just make them 3/4" thick, should be fairly close. So out of 4" aluminum barstock I made adapters 3/4" thick. I taper bored them from 7/8" to 1". I added counterbored holes so I could bolt them on using the stock Altec studs with washers and nuts. Two 1/4-20 tapped holes and some bolts would secure the adapters to the horns.
So today I was bored and decided to install them. Some of you had convinced me by now to just take out the bug screens so I did. Bolted up the adapters and boy did the tapers look close! I grabbed a 1/4 wide machinist scale and laid it inside the bore expecting to see a big mis-match in the tapers but they were almost perfect! Being a machinist I'm rather fussy, I wouldn't change a thing, the tiny amount of mis-match could hardly be seen under a strong lite, no more than a few thousands. Somehow I nailed it!
So now we have definite dimensions to build adapters that any competent machinist can knock out.
Oh, and I'm still on my first CD, listening to Dire Straits, sounds great! Will only get better as I add my scratch built Model 19 crossovers.
Non of this would have ever happened without all of the input and info on this board, for that I am grateful.
Thank you all.
BillWojo





Bookmarks